Friday, February 18, 2011

David Warlick's "Technology Transformed Learining Environments"

One use of technology that works well in my classroom setting (high school math) is the use of Moodle.  I currently only have it up and going for one of my five subjects I teach because the classes are somewhat cumbersome to design and manage using this program (this is why I am researching alternative (more user friendly) methods to Moodle.  I love that I am able to have resources available to students as they may need them.  I have tutorials, online assessments that give them immediate feedback, practice problems, and enrichment problems available for all the students in the class.   For example, I SmartRecord my lessons and upload them to Moodle.  This allows students to play the lesson if they were absent, play the lesson over and over again without anyone knowing how many times they had to watch it to understand the concept, or play the lesson as a way to study for a quiz or test.  I also have enrichment problems that I post in which students can elect to work through.  They try solving them explaining their thoughts and then I respond with “great thinking”, “you’re on the right track, or I give them clues or advice.  I would love to add a discussion piece in which students can respond to given topics like I would have them do in their math journals and then also respond to each other’s comments.

1 comment:

  1. Moodle, like D2L or any other course management system, is a great way to provide resources to students. It puts everything in one place for student access, review, and enrichment. I like the idea of having a student discussion area. Have you considered having individual students responsible for posts during the week that deal with issues or problems raised in class?

    ReplyDelete