Thursday, March 10, 2011

Twitter Revisited

I honestly still haven't thought of a meaningful use for twitter.  I just don’t get it and find that the whole thing is disorganized and full of useless blurbs of information.  Most times when there was something interesting I was directed to a website,  which made me think I could have done the same kind of search using Google.  I really don’t see how meaningful information can be shared in 140 words or less.  Or maybe it is because I talk too much and can’t fit in those restrictions.   Lastly, I found it very cumbersome trying to search for people to follow.   I really did try to give it a fair shot, but found most of the time I spent searching was a waste.  I even tried to “cheat” and checked out what other people were following and still didn’t find anything that I felt was useful.  I tried different key word searches, tried using the tag cloud, and even searched things from the interset category--still found nothing!  I would much rather use a blog or mini-blog to communicate.  I feel that blogs can be more organized and read using one of my favorite RSS feeds Google Reader. 

As for using Twitter in the classroom I thought of a way to use it--communicating with parents and students about upcoming events.  I could also have students tweet about summaries of concepts or vocabulary definitions, but once again I could do the same thing with the announcement page and mini-blog page on my classroom Google website.  I just like the idea of having every tool in one private and conventient place.

No comments:

Post a Comment