Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Synchronous Versus Asynchronous Learning

Each of these types of tools has its benefits and its drawbacks.  Once again care needs to be taken that each tool is considered based on its intended purpose.  I love asynchronous tools because it allows for much more flexibility and allows students to think "at their own pace".  I do believe that deadlines for the asynchronous tools is key to keep students "united" and on track.  On the other hand, I like the idea (as a math teacher) to have a time when we are all together discussing and thinking about things at the same exact time.  It is those "real-time" questions, comments, and mistakes that really allow students to grasp some of the concepts I am teaching. 

As a full-time classroom teacher my favorite synchronous technology tool is by far the Smart Notebook software that comes with Smartboards.  There are so many amazing features and tools within that software that help me present material to my students, stay organized, allow students to interact with the concepts, and make incorporating multi-media a breeze.  (It also has a recording function which is great because students can access the recorded lessons if they were absent or need reteaching!) The downside to this software is that it is meant more for classroom based learning so its interactive features would not be best utilized in an online class. I would have to say that the Blackboard Collaborative tool would be my favorite if I were an online teacher.  I love that it has many of the functions as Smart Notebook, but has the added bonus of allowing students to participate (through audio, video, or drawing tools) with the lesson.  I love the polling features and raise your hand features also.   As for having students work together I LOVE Google Drive.  Students are able to work on the document at the exact same time at different computers.  (In fact, that is how Amber and I would type our group papers—we would set up a time and would work on the document together—typing notes to each other in different colored font!)   The only down side to all these is that student must have access to a computer with fairly fast internet connection speeds.  The unfortunate thing about my district is that I could not use something like this with them because many students do not have access to high speed internet (and many no access to computers at all) at home.  The only time that I could guarantee students could have access to this at the same exact time would be during my actual class period (which then defeats the purpose of using those tools). 

As for my favorite asynchronous tools--it would be have to be Google Sites (with Blogger coming in at a close second).  I actually prefer Google Sites over Moodle from a programming/management aspect.  I just find it to be much more user friendly for me and much more user friendly for students.  I love that I can organize my class into "tabs" and then students have an easy time getting from place to place.  Google Sites also tends to be more "pleasant" visually speaking.  The things Google Sites lacks that Moodle has is a place to hold a discussion forum (which I know I have mentioned in my other blogs).  This is why I would have to say Blogger would have to be the other asynchronous tool that I would utilize as a sort of virtual math journal where students can post an entry and then other students could post comments (like we do) but I think I would add the extra requirement of making students go back read the comments that were made (with maybe a simple thanks for commenting as a reply) just so that the making comments isn't for nothing.  I would also have my students subscribe (using Google Reader) to each of their classmates blogs so that they can easily access all the posts (and read short summaries for each post).  I could also imbed Google Forms for assessment purposes.  I just really like the idea of having as much as I can in one place so that students don't get lost in the virtual world!

No comments:

Post a Comment